The protein packed idly that everyone can love from Shubha Aunty
- Wet Grinder
- Dry Grinder
- Pressure Cooker
- Idly Pan
- 2 cups Moong Daal
- 1 cup Urad Daal
- Pepper Corn
- Rinse both daals in cold water.
- In a wet grinder, grind urad daal until light and fluffy (cake batter consistency). Test: little bit in water should float. It’s important that the consistency be “cloud-like.” Remove and put in a separate bowl.
- Grind moong daal in a regular blender.
- With a spatula, fold the moong daal into the urad daal, and let sit in a warm place. If the house is cold, put a little water in the bottom of the instant pot, and perch the covered bowl on top and set to Warm. This warmth will allow for fermentation.
- Find a set of idli pans.
- Grind/Mash – Pepper corns and cumin seeds into a dry mix. Then mix into the batter.
- Take idly loader and brush with ghee using clean paper towel
- Fill up a pot with water at the bottom
- Take a ladle and fill with batter. Then gently place into idly tray. You want to give some room and allow it to spread as it cooks.
- Make sure you align the trays correctly to allow the idly to rise appropriately
- Place in pot and ensure flame is on medium for the stove. Water at the bottom should be boiling. Cook for 6 minutes to 8 Minutes. Need to view the idly
- Serve warm with sambar and chutney.
This variety of idly is loaded with protein! Shubha Aunty makes this version much more often after completing her integrative medicine fellowship, and it definitely brings your guilty post-idly laziness to an end.