Pulav in the Instant Pot
Shubha Aunty's Tasty Pulav
- Instant Pot
- 2 Cups Rice Ensure to washed and drain rice first
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 4 whole Star Anise See – Illicium verum
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 2 tsp Salt
- 6 tbsp Oil Preferably Canola Oil
- 1 Pinch Saffron
- 2 Thai Green Chilis Medium in length, finely chopped
- 1 handful Mint Leaves
- 4 cups Water Rice to Water Ratio: 1:2 ratio.
- Raita See Recipe in "Side Dish"
- In the Instant Pot, press sauté (set for 30 minutes).
- Add six tablespoons of oil, when it sizzles, add dry ingredients and stir, adding oil as needed.
- Add onions and add salt to release water.
- When onions are transparent, add 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste per cup of rice.
- Add chilies and rice and stir thoroughly.
- Add saffron and 2 spoons of salt.
- Pour in 4 cups of water (rice to water is 1:2 ratio typically) and adjust as needed.
- Turn off saute setting and close lid. Press manual pressure cooking setting for 7 minutes after adding mint leaves.
This pulav recipe tastes great with a tomato and cucumber raita on the side. Shubha Aunty loves to take this dish into work to share with coworkers, and she even sent some to share with Sarayu’s sixth grade class during a social studies unit on India. This version can be easily done in an Instant Pot.